Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The "R" word.


  over 20 tubes of caulk


I know this is a taboo subject but I am just going to put it out there, I am freaking out about the possibility of "critters" in our apartment.  While it is taboo most New Yorkers have had to deal with them at one time or another.  I refuse to call them by name for fear that like Beetle Juice or Bloody Mary they will appear in our apartment.  My friend M politely refers to them as water-bugs... she is from Georgia, of course she is polite.  I refer to them as those "things" or occasionally I will drop the F- word if I actually see one.  I guess a water - bug sounds a bit more appropriate than Palmetto Bug.  I hate when people refer to them as Palmetto Bugs, as if they are pretty little flowery insects like a butterfly or something.  Palmetto Bug... ehhh whatever.  

I knew this would be a problem, living in a big building, but it momentarily slipped my mind. Before we never worried about these "things" we kept our apt clean, and luckily so did the two other couples in the building, so it was a non-issue.  Now... we have lots of people, and trash shoots and children that leave trails of potato chips down the hall.  Now, it's an issue.  So we have devised a plan. Matt likes to say we are fortifying the apartment, like we are at war- and believe me, we are.  

As I have mentioned this place has never been cared for, so there are cracks in the walls, holes above almost every doorway, and along most ceiling to wall joints.  There was one hole in a closet that I swore we could charge rent for, or at least start saying we live in a two bedroom.  Matt has been caulking and filling holes with foam, religiously  almost every night.  We have gone through over 20 tubes of caulk, and still counting.

I am hopeful that making our apartment a clean fortress will keep the critters at bay.  I have also posted 2 baits in every closet, under the fridge, stove, and sink, as well as 6 in the trash shoot near our apartment.  

The Trash shoot next to our apartment is a gross mess, I poured bleach on the floors and sprayed the walls, then lined the walls with boric acid, I only wished I photographed myself for this display of neighborly insanity.  Imagine: yellow rubber gloves up to my elbows, my rain boots, leggings, a long sleeve shirt (tight) and a head scarf.  I was as covered as I possibly could have been.  Luckily only one neighbor saw me, and I can only imagine what she thinks.  Whatever, I feel better knowing that little room is cleaner than it was before.  


No comments:

Post a Comment